Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refurbishing an old trailer......
4thMay2009, 01:42 PM,
I'm turning an old "welding" trailer into a little more modern ''off road/utility" trailer. I transformed it from a welding trailer, into a "canoe" trailer about 30 years ago by adding a long tongue and racks to carry two boats. I think it would be better used now as a utility trailer. I want to fix it up to be complimentary of my Jeep. I've cut off the racks and added a couple more treated boards to the bed and have got in the flat bed stage right now, with 2 x 12" sides to be added shortly. I'm going to paint it all black. I'm also going with 5 on 4.5 lug pattern on the spindles so they will be interchangeable with the Jeep wheels (just in case). I have already gotten some 15 x 7 "Jeep" wheels for it, with A/T tires. Going to repaint to dress up the wheels too.

The bearings are completely shot and were shot way back when I did the conversion before but just let them ride. I was thinking about just replacing the whole axle assembly with a new axle kit, which would include everything: the axle, spindles, bearings, leaf springs, mounting hardware such as the u-bolts, etc. That would cost about 150 - 200.00.

I was wondering though, if I replaced only the spindles, how do they mount on the axle? It's got a square axle on it now. I haven't torn that far into the project yet. Do they just slip into the ends of the axles and welded into place or what?

Have you got some experience with this and can give some insight?

BTW... I'll post up some pics of the progess. I wish I had taken some pics of it right after I got it home from the country, but failed to do so. It's still kind of rough right now. I hope my welding is better now than it was 30 years ago. Smile
When life throws you lemons..... make Skeeter Pee!
4thMay2009, 02:12 PM,
Randy, I have to say, to be father time you sure are holding out well. What kind of preservatives do you eat?!?
White Rhino Fabrication
[Image: Sig.png]

Chris.Brown@whiterhinofab.com

601-397-1118

- Tube Bending
- Prototype Development
- 3D CAD Services
- CNC Plasma Cutting
- Complete Chassis Fabrication
- Roll Cage Fabrication
- Suspension Fabrication
- Mig Welding
- Tig Welding
- Bumper Fabrication
- Brackets, Tabs, Etc
4thMay2009, 03:19 PM,
i run a trailer parts department i could prob give a fellow offroader a pretty good del just give me a call 601-260-1070
4thMay2009, 03:26 PM,
Highend, I need a Hub and the axle stub. I need two. do you carry each of those?
White Rhino Fabrication

601-397-1118

- Tube Bending
- Prototype Development
- 3D CAD Services
- CNC Plasma Cutting
- Roll Cage Fabrication
- Suspension Fabrication
- Mig Welding
- Tig Welding
- Bumper Fabrication
- Brackets, Tabs, Etc
4thMay2009, 03:26 PM,
highend2007 Wrote:i run a trailer parts department i could prob give a fellow offroader a pretty good del just give me a call 601-260-1070

I'll certainly give you a call. Will be this afternoon, a little later. Prob around 4:15.
4thMay2009, 03:32 PM,
Chris@whiterhino Wrote:Randy, I have to say, to be father time you sure are holding out well. What kind of preservatives do you eat?!?

Aw shucks, Chris.
I'm going

from this Surfing
to this Wheelchair
to this
Sadangel2

real fast! Laughing
4thMay2009, 03:44 PM,
Randy, the spindles slip into the square tube and weld in place, just as you suspected.
depending on teh condition of the springs, etc, you may just go with a complete axle from hub to hub, sans suspension.

I have a trailer project coming up, too, unless I come across a light boat trailer in repairable condition.
4thMay2009, 03:47 PM,
Res I have a boat trailer in my back yard you can have. Its in working condition. only catch is you have to carry the junk boat and junk in it with you =)
White Rhino Fabrication

601-397-1118

- Tube Bending
- Prototype Development
- 3D CAD Services
- CNC Plasma Cutting
- Roll Cage Fabrication
- Suspension Fabrication
- Mig Welding
- Tig Welding
- Bumper Fabrication
- Brackets, Tabs, Etc
4thMay2009, 04:22 PM,
some people will just replace the spindle, but i do not recommend it because it is so hard to line the spindles back up without a spindle gig. if the spindle is not perfectly straight it will wear the tire pretty badly. the spindes should be welded into the current axle. if you change the complete axle assembly you will run a more common bearing which is a big plus.just be careful that you buy a name brand axle. ie. dexter, alko alot of the axle manufactures are subing there work out overseas. the bearing they use are crappy and not the same size as the ones we sale here in the states
4thMay2009, 04:34 PM,
I don't plane on welding the new spindle on a trailer, I needed it for something else if you have them.
White Rhino Fabrication

601-397-1118

- Tube Bending
- Prototype Development
- 3D CAD Services
- CNC Plasma Cutting
- Roll Cage Fabrication
- Suspension Fabrication
- Mig Welding