Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote Oil filter relocation kit caused low oil pressure
22ndDecember2015, 09:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 22ndDecember2015, 09:20 AM by Reserector.)
Remote Oil filter relocation kit caused low oil pressure
The truth is, that I was the problem, not the remote filter.
I installed a Hayden single remote filter kit, and ever since then, my oil pressure ran several psi lower than before. I figured that if I had hosed it wrong, the one way valve in the filter would not allow it to build pressure.

In retrospect, that is stupid on my part. Pressure will build regardless of whether or not it is getting to the engine. I'm lucky I didn't damage anything by driving it like this for as long as I did.

My clues were slow-building oil pressure, and occasional lifter tap on the highway.

I started looking into various possible causes, and finally came back around to verifying my installation. Turns out that I had the hoses backwards, and was flowing oil backward through the filter.
I can understand how that could cause lifter tap, but the low pressure does not compute.
Nonetheless, I replaced the filter, swapped the hoses, and my pressure and flow are back to normal.

I'm typing this in the hope that it will help some poor slob like myself. You see, I went searching for answers, but none of the threads I found were conclusive. This one is different; I am clearly stating that low oil pressure can be caused by an improperly connected oil filter relocation kit.

I searched for clearer instructions, and found online instruction sheets for a few different brands. Some said to connect OUT to IN, and OUT to IN, while one of them said (and showed) connecting OUT to OUT and IN to IN. Therefore, I had to break it down so that I understood the function, and exactly what is going on, because I was clearly confused at that point.

Here's how it SHOULD work. Oil from the pump goes into the outside part of the oil filter, flows through the filter medium, and out through the middle to the engine bearings.

[Image: filterdiag1.jpg]

A remote kit has an adapter and a filter housing. Oil comes from the pump, to the adapter between the o-ring and the center pipe.
Here is the adapter that I used. The part that comes from the pump goes to the port marked "OUT".

[Image: CAM02743_zpsnnl1q495.jpg]

Here is a diagram I found that shows the way these are made.

[Image: trd-1313.jpg]

From the outlet of the adapter, it flows through a hose to the inlet of the filter housing. The inlet is the part that feeds oil to the outside of the filter, between the o-ring and the center pipe.
Here you can see that in my installation, that would be the fitting on the bottom. You can see that it feeds the outside of the filter.

[Image: CAM02745_zpscwps1u8l.jpg]

From there, hose the outlet (the port that comes from the center pipe) back to the inlet of the adapter. Again, the inlet of the adapter is the port that feeds the center pipe. The oil returning from the center of the filter goes to the center of the engine adapter, and into the engine to lube the bearings.

I hope this clears up the question about the possibility of a remote kit causing low pressure.
I also hope this clears up the proper routing.
31stDecember2015, 02:31 AM,
RE: Remote Oil filter relocation kit caused low oil pressure
Dang good write-up

sent from my decrepit fingers