Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muffler Resurrection
13thSeptember2008, 08:35 PM,
Muffler Resurrection
Problem #1:
My muffler has loose baffles inside that are rattling around.
Problem #2:
The muffler is loud and embarrassing.
Problem #3:
My earlier repair is no longer effective. That repair went as follows: I identified where the rattle was, drilled a hole through the muffler, then used a long bolt and a nut to compress the muffler's shell. It worked for a while, but the problem came back.
Problem #4:
I have no money. I am, however, blessed with a working welder, some acelylene, and a little bit of oxygen.

I can rebuild it. I have the technology. I can make it better, stronger, faster. Smile

After removing the rear section of exhaust, I slice into it.
[Image: Mufflerrebuild001.jpg]

I find the loose pieces of what used to be a baffle.
[Image: Mufflerrebuild002.jpg]

Here, I have highlighted the old welds in white, so you can see where is used to be. The exhaust is supposed to go around the ends of a V-shaped plate. Without that, the exhaust goes straight through.
[Image: Mufflerrebuild004.jpg]

I made a new baffle out of some scrap, including part of the original baffle.
[Image: Mufflerrebuild006.jpg]

This is the piece of scrap that I selected for the new outer skin. (It said Murray on the other side. Smile )
[Image: Mufflerrebuild008.jpg]

Here, I have welded the baffles and prepped the case for its new skin.
[Image: Mufflerrebuild009.jpg]

I marked and drilled a number of holes in the new skin. I will plug weld through these holes and into the baffles. This must be done to prevent vibration and expansion.
[Image: Mufflerrebuild010.jpg]

After positioning the cover, I make several of the plug welds to hold it in place. Using the "hot tack" method, I work the skin down smooth. I refer to this as "tack it and smack it."
[Image: Mufflerrebuild011.jpg]

I then cleaned the whole area and welded the remaining plug welds, then welded the outer edge.
[Image: Mufflerrebuild013.jpg]

I was out of BBQ black and high heat orange, so I used up the last of the Torquin' Teal engine enamel. Wink
[Image: Mufflerrebuild014.jpg]
13thSeptember2008, 08:54 PM,
Muffler Resurrection
Yeah Res those flowmaster mufflers are bad about falling apart on the inside a guy at the muffler shop told me they burn out is what it is. I have the Cherry Bomb muffler made like it it's made better. But, u did a great job man it's probably better welded now then it was from the assembly line.
13thSeptember2008, 09:13 PM,
Muffler Resurrection
I am surprised you didn't make a new one out of an old dishwasher! Eyebrow
98 Jeep TJ, 2017 Jeep JKUR, and 2 old Nissan Patrols
13thSeptember2008, 09:17 PM,
Muffler Resurrection
mdawg_98tj Wrote:I am surprised you didn't make a new one out of an old dishwasher! Eyebrow

no that was the inner bed panelsW00t2 ok well close enough to a dryer tubPipe1
DAVE
96 HB 4WD 5.3L, 4L60E, NP241C Censored2
SAS'd, 5.13s, ARBs, 35s and a few more thingsPoke
13thSeptember2008, 10:15 PM,
Muffler Resurrection
CherokeeCrawler Wrote:Yeah Res those flowmaster mufflers are bad about falling apart on the inside a guy at the muffler shop told me they burn out is what it is. I have the Cherry Bomb muffler made like it it's made better. But, u did a great job man it's probably better welded now then it was from the assembly line.

That baffle actually WAS burned out in the middle. I have a double layer at the bend, where the original part burned out. It should hold up for a while.
14thSeptember2008, 12:29 AM,
Muffler Resurrection
Hey thats the same color as my water pump. Now where did I get it painted at. LOL
78 Ford Bronco
6" lift
Super Swamper 35x14.5x15's
HP D44 and Ford 9"
5:13's with lockers front and rear

Tow Rig: 1999 Ford F350 Power Stroke 4x4

[Image: 001-1.jpg]
14thSeptember2008, 12:50 AM,
Muffler Resurrection
uumm...why?....mufflers a cheap!! paid $40 for my flowmaster
I understand the jeep thing, thats why i drive a nissan
ARB air locked and ready to rock!
3" S\L 2" B\L
cold air intake
flowmaster exhaust
33"Mickey Thompson MTZ
15x10 american racing rims
8000lb. mile marker winch
K.M.A. winch bumper
calmini steering kit
14thSeptember2008, 12:53 AM,
Muffler Resurrection
BigCountry Wrote:uumm...why?....mufflers a cheap!! paid $40 for my flowmaster

Partly because I am flat broke and partly because I can.
14thSeptember2008, 01:02 AM,
Muffler Resurrection
aww, c 'mon res, your an engineer, and im a maint. man and even i can afford a new muffler!!!.....but a penny saved is a penny earned!!!.....good lookin work though, ive got an exhaust leak ive got to fix just afraid of ringin off the exhast studs
I understand the jeep thing, thats why i drive a nissan
ARB air locked and ready to rock!
3" S\L 2" B\L
cold air intake
flowmaster exhaust
33"Mickey Thompson MTZ
15x10 american racing rims
8000lb. mile marker winch
K.M.A. winch bumper
calmini steering kit
14thSeptember2008, 07:40 AM,
Muffler Resurrection
Good job on the repair. It’s nice knowing you can fix anything given time & material isn’t it?

The acetone was a little close for my taste though. Be careful, I once saw the aftermath of a can of spray paint poping after hot slag fell on it.Stun

RP
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]