Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In Cab Laptop Stand
20thFebruary2009, 11:39 AM,
In Cab Laptop Stand
A few months ago I build the base for my laptop stand that I wanted in cab. I mainly did it so I could run quickbooks on my laptop and if I got an order while I was driving I could pull over and put the order in because I was having a hard time keeping up with it. So here is a picture of the base that I drew up then cut.

[Image: PDR_0705.jpg]

Next I started on the main shaft that was going to be holding everything else. I turned down some 1.5" tubing so it would fit perfectly inside of some 1.75" DOM that I was using as a base. Then I cut 4 2.25" x 1.75" DOM for the sleeves, 5 .75" x .75" round cold rolled solid stock and another 1.5" tube so I could adjust the hieght of the stand. Once I turned all the tubing down and beveled the edge, I started cutting my solid stock then putting it in the notcher then cutting it to length each time because in the small parts I could have notched it. I then turned down the solid stock and then put a hole in the middle. Then I tapped the hole.
[Image: PDR_0698.jpg]

Once they were tapped I TIG welded them to the short pieces of 1.75" DOM as you can see from the picture above.

Next I drew up two plates out of 18 gauge cold sheet. My thought was I would make another stand for my mouse if I had the room but I don't think I do.
[Image: PDR_0680.jpg]

Then from here I dimple died both plates and then put them in the sheet metal break and bend the edges up. This increased the strength 10 fold. I cut two of the small pieces because I was going to show how strong it is but ran out of time. I'll post those tomorrow.

[Image: PDR_0682.jpg]
[Image: PDR_0685.jpg]
[Image: PDR_0688.jpg]
[Image: PDR_0689.jpg]
[Image: PDR_0690.jpg]

Now, I welded the other piece of 1.5" DOM to the large. It was 1:30 AM last night when I was finishing this up. Then it hit me, I welded the tube on backwards... The tube should be on the same side as the dimples, as you can see it isn't.

[Image: PDR_0700.jpg]

So after some colorful words I cut it off then used the shot bag to see I could salvage the piece. Its funny how god works sometimes as it came our better anyway! So now to put it all together and this is how it came out.

[Image: PDR_0701.jpg]
[Image: PDR_0703.jpg]
[Image: PDR_0704.jpg]
[Image: PDR_0710.jpg]
[Image: PDR_0711.jpg]
[Image: PDR_0712.jpg]
[Image: PDR_0713.jpg]
White Rhino Fabrication
[Image: Sig.png]

Chris.Brown@whiterhinofab.com

601-397-1118

- Tube Bending
- Prototype Development
- 3D CAD Services
- CNC Plasma Cutting
- Complete Chassis Fabrication
- Roll Cage Fabrication
- Suspension Fabrication
- Mig Welding
- Tig Welding
- Bumper Fabrication
- Brackets, Tabs, Etc
20thFebruary2009, 12:10 PM,
In Cab Laptop Stand
Good job, Chris. I had to use those things when I was a service tech for MS Valley Gas. The problem I had was when I was talking on the cell phone, eating a sammich, smoking a cigarette, and brushing my hair, the thing shook quite a bit at just about any speed. That is the only thing you may not like about a computer stand mounted on the floor.

Just kidding about smoking the cig and eating a sammich, but I did type quite often while talking on the phone and driving with my knee. You will too if you leave it in there long enough. Really looks good, but it will shake like a tall pine in a brisk wind.

How are you planning on securing the computer to the stand?
When life throws you lemons..... make Skeeter Pee!
20thFebruary2009, 12:41 PM,
In Cab Laptop Stand
I'm going to use a strap kinda like the other company's use. I did put the folded edges to it did slide off.
White Rhino Fabrication

601-397-1118

- Tube Bending
- Prototype Development
- 3D CAD Services
- CNC Plasma Cutting
- Roll Cage Fabrication
- Suspension Fabrication
- Mig Welding
- Tig Welding
- Bumper Fabrication
- Brackets, Tabs, Etc
20thFebruary2009, 01:04 PM,
In Cab Laptop Stand
Nice work, Chris. Do you ever just buy anything? or do you always have to make your own...
[Image: SIG-1.jpg]
20thFebruary2009, 01:06 PM,
In Cab Laptop Stand
put down the dimple dies and walk away. lol looks good
[Image: sigpic.jpg]
freedomoffroad.org
20thFebruary2009, 01:14 PM,
In Cab Laptop Stand
I do buy things sometimes, but I didn't want to buy these cause they are like $400 and I MAY have $10 in steel and about 5 hours of my time. Of course, if you count all the tools etc I needed and if I were to have bought them JUST for these, then this laptop stand would cost me $75,000.00 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
White Rhino Fabrication

601-397-1118

- Tube Bending
- Prototype Development
- 3D CAD Services
- CNC Plasma Cutting
- Roll Cage Fabrication
- Suspension Fabrication
- Mig Welding
- Tig Welding
- Bumper Fabrication
- Brackets, Tabs, Etc
20thFebruary2009, 03:27 PM,
In Cab Laptop Stand
What's $75,000.00 for a quality stand though. Wink
When life throws you lemons..... make Skeeter Pee!
20thFebruary2009, 03:33 PM,
In Cab Laptop Stand
Looks familiar, been selling those on eBay by any chance?

Question
Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy
| 1969 Dodge Charger | 1981 DeLorean 4x4 | 2003 Ford F-250 4x4 |
[Image: 2304_s.png]
20thFebruary2009, 03:37 PM,
In Cab Laptop Stand
Chris, you waited till after I left the Sheriff's dept to finish it! Dont need one now! I have a buddy at the S.O. who is wanting one but doesnt want to spend 400-500 on it. What price range will they run? Dan
[Image: Scan183January232007-2-1.jpg]
20thFebruary2009, 04:05 PM,
In Cab Laptop Stand
This is the first and only one I've done so, no I haven't been selling them on ebay. Although that isn't a bad idea. I haven't really thought about pricing them out because I was just making it for myself.

Dan, I'll make him an unbelievable deal. Have him come talk to me.
White Rhino Fabrication

601-397-1118

- Tube Bending
- Prototype Development
- 3D CAD Services
- CNC Plasma Cutting
- Roll Cage Fabrication
- Suspension Fabrication
- Mig Welding